Our aim is to help all learners develop a positive attitude to, and enjoyment of mathematics whilst maintaining progress, celebrating their achievements, building confidence and raising standards. We hope to achieve this by:
- Providing a supportive and motivating learning environment
- Encouraging learners to extend their knowledge of mathematical language
- Encouraging logical thinking
- Working with others to carry out investigations and surveys
- Using a range of appropriate mathematical programs on the computer
- Exploring mathematical concepts through other subjects
- Recording and displaying work
- Promote independent learning
- Encourage learners to become reflective in their work
- Inspire positive thinkers through growth mind set
- Deliver creative lessons to engage all learner groups and individualise learning experiences
- Present Maths in real life contexts
- Promote SMSC through delivery of Maths
- Ensure all learners have the opportunities to gain recognised Maths qualifications from Year 9 onwards
- Understanding students have different learning preferences and applying our teaching styles to take these into account
- Developing the ability to communicate using Mathematics, with particular emphasis on the use of correct mathematical language, graphical representations, diagrams etc.
Courses currently offered:
When students arrive at Mary Astell Academy their academic ability in Maths is assessed. The data collected from this assessment, combined with information received from previous schools, helps identify the suitable qualification pathway for each individual student. The mathematics’ qualifications delivered are outlined below.
At Mary Astell Academy we currently offer the OCR 9-1 GCSE course. This is a two year programme of study based on a two-tier assessment system. Grades 1-5 can be achieved on the Foundation Level paper and Grades 4-9 on the Higher Level paper. Students will be entered into the relevant tier based on their academic ability, progress and potential within the subject.
Edexcel Functional Skills Maths
At Mary Astell Academy we provide our learners with the opportunity to sit Functional Skills Maths exams which provide our learners with another opportunity to achieve Maths qualifications.
Functional Skills Mathematics aims to provide people with the skills they need to operate confidently, effectively and independently in learning, life and the world of work. Students that are able to apply their skills functionally will improve their employment prospects, and support their progression to further study.
AQA Entry Level Maths
Entry Level Certificates (ELCs) are a nationally recognised qualification that give students the opportunity to achieve a certificated award. At Mary Astell Academy we always look to challenge our students however we also recognised that GCSE Mathematics is too demanding for some students. ELC Mathematics is designed as a qualification that offers students who are unlikely to achieve a grade in GCSE Mathematics the opportunity to achieve a certificated award. It is also a useful qualification for students in preparation for GCSE and can be used to monitor students’ progress.